Blog Archive

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Building a New PC - Finale

Welcome, to this last part of Building a New PC series. In this finale, I will be putting all the components that I mentioned in the previous post together. Here is the very general guide on building a PC, I strongly advise you to learn from YouTube videos and experience builders in online communities. 

First of all, I took out the motherboard, it's the first thing that should be worked on because everything in the computer is directly connected to the motherboard. Then I placed the motherboard on the product box because cardboard isn't conductive and we are dealing with technology here. 

After that, I placed the CPU in the socket and the RAM in the slots (remember to open them first)



Then, it's time to install the CPU cooler. For mine, I wanted to change the fan on the Corsair H60 Cooler because it's way too loud for me. So I bought one Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 fan, it's a really quiet fan but still remains in high-pressure.


Lastly, I fitted my motherboard in the case, and DO NOT forget to install motherboard shield first. It's the silver shiny rectangle that goes in the back of your case. Then once the motherboard is screwed in, I installed the CPU cooler and the radiator is facing upward. It is not an idle position due to m-ATX case space limitations. Facing upward makes the air harder to blow against gravity, that's why most radiators face the back of the case. 
Then I put in the PSU and routed the necessary cables to the back, and left the unnecessary ones in the front due to limitations on cable management. Most people custom PC route as many cables to the back as possible for air flow and beauty (if the case has a side window). Once that's done, I installed the GPU, SSD and hard drives. Finally, I connected all the cables to different parts and to the motherboard for powering the whole system. If you are going to use the same or a smaller case than me, you better have good patience because everything is really tight together. 

Since this case doesn't have a side window, I didn't care much about cable management as long as the PC has a good positive air flow. If you want a PC with a side window, go for a modular PSU because they are much easier to work with and you can take out any unnecessary cables. Also, modular PSUs don't have ugly ketchup and mustard cables like mine. And LED lights are always necessary for windowed PCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment